Home - Adult Literacy XPRIZE - Registered
A $7 MILLION GLOBAL COMPETITION TO
TRANSFORM THE LIVES OF LOW-LITERATE ADULTS.
The Barbara Bush Foundation Adult Literacy XPRIZE presented by Dollar General Literacy Foundation is a global competition challenging teams to develop mobile applications for existing smart devices that result in the greatest increase in literacy skills among participating adult learners in just 12 months. The solutions will overcome key barriers to literacy learning by improving access, while increasing retention, and scaling to meet demand. Our vision is to empower nearly 1 in 10 low-literate adults living in the U.S. with the skills they need to improve their lives and realize their dreams.
Teams will compete in a multi-stage competition that tests for:
- Ability to measurably increase the literacy level of low-literate adults within 12 months.
- Creation of a design that is easy and accessible for use on a mobile phone so that learners can access it and operate it from anywhere, anytime.
- Software curriculum that is engaging, relevant and attuned to the needs and interests of the adult learner.
XPRIZE is providing infrastructure
and tools to help teams
create real solutions
The Barbara Bush Foundation Adult Literacy XPRIZE not only challenges teams to build software that enables low-literate adults to learn autonomously, it offers an opportunity for teams to participate in a unique software competition.
Looking to join a team? Share your experience and insight as a team mentor? Have resources or services to offer our competitors?
Join the competition!
- More than 36 million U.S. adults lack basic English literacy skills
- A 1% rise in literacy skill scores can boost labor productivity by an estimated $225 billion per year
- Increased literacy can decrease U.S. annual healthcare costs by an estimated $230 billion per year